The Volva. Vintage Crystal Ball Rosary Necklace. Barleycorn Version.
A refurbished vintage rosary fragment is transformed into a divination tool with a beautiful crystal sphere made of genuine rock crystal hanging from it. Vintage rosary fragment of milky topaz coloured glass beads make for a beautiful, one of a kind piece.
- Necklace is 24" (61cm) long with a 5" (12.5cm) drop including crystal sphere
- Necklace closes with a blackened pewter clasp
- The rosary itself dates from the mid 20th century
- The connector is darkened with age and use and heavily patina'ed. It features Mary on one side and the Marian apparition at Lourdes on the reverse
- Topaz coloured beads have a lovely hue and rustic shape resembling harvest grains. They remind me of harvest home hues of Mabon--I've named this after the pagan Man of Sorrows, John Barleycorn
- I have lovingly repaired and up-cycled this vintage piece
This necklace was inspired by the crystal ball talismans found buried with Viking völvas or seeresses. Some say crystals can feel and behave like living beings. It is a beautiful stone and feels very vibrant in the hand.
All pieces are made by hand or sourced with care from our home studio in Kirkwall, Orkney. Ally's designs are inspired by the wild, ancient Orkney landscape with its unique blend of Scottish and Norse culture and history.