Pictish Shawl Pin of Sterling Silver with Granulations
A fibula brooch of sterling silver for shawls and cardigans. A simple, endless circle inspired by the moon, ouroboros and archeological finds.
- This penannular brooch is based on a Pictish design in the Norrie's Law Hoard from Fife
- This version is forged in sterling silver and accented with granulations which act as decoration as well as keeping the pin secure
- Brooch measures 1.75" or 4.5cm in diameter
- Perfect for dk, sport, or laceweight designs.
- Hallmarked at the Assay Office in Edinburgh
- The penannular brooch is an elegant and practical design
- Once the fabric has been secured on the pin, the circular frame can be turned around the pin, securing the brooch in place
I wear mine with my hand-knitted cardigans and coats, as I prefer this type of closure to buttons or clasps that come undone.
A copper version of this pin is featured in Staci Perry's Easy Knit Sweater Jacket Tutorial at Very Pink Knits. You can learn about the pattern (and get a how-to on how to fasten these brooches) here: http://verypink.com/2013/11/27/easy-knit-sweater-jacket/
All my jewellery is made by hand by my partner Mike and myself in a converted 18th century naval school on the wild North coast of Scotland. All pieces come gift wrapped.