Pierced Pennanular Brooch with Unakite
- A whimsical take on an Iron-Age design, cold-forged in copper
- I've added a lush green-pink unakite stone teardrop to the base
- A practical and beautiful closure solution for handknits
- Circle portion of the brooch measures approximately 1 1/4" or 3cm in diameter
- The first 2 photos shows the brooch you will receive; the other photos show my other versions of this design.
Cold-forging means no heat is used to form the metal-- just hammering and sheer force of will! The piece has been patina'ed and hand polished to bring out the depth and warmth of the design.
Once the fabric has been secured on the pin, the pin is then slid between the legs of the pin and the oval frame can be turned around, securing the brooch in place. I wear mine with my hand-knitted cardigans and coats, as I prefer this type of closure to buttons or clasps that come undone. This works very well with chunky, aran or worsted knits.
A version of this pin is featured in Staci Perry's Easy Knit Sweater Jacket Tutorial at Very Pink Knits. You can learn about the pattern (and get a how-to on how to fasten these brooches) here.
All pieces are made by hand or sourced with care from our home studio in Kirkwall, Orkney. Ally's designs are inspired by the wild, ancient Orkney landscape with its unique blend of Scottish and Norse culture and history.