The Volva. Vintage Crystal Ball Rosary Necklace
A refurbished vintage rosary fragment of deep blue cloisonné glass beads is transformed into a divination tool with a beautiful crystal sphere made of genuine rock crystal hanging from it.
- Necklace is 24 1/2" (62cm) long with a 4" (10cm) drop including crystal sphere
- Necklace closes with a pewter clasp
- The rosary itself dates from the late 20th century-- despite the date 1830 inscribed on the connector (this is inscribed on every miraculous medal, as it is the date this Marian apparition appeared
- A snake is wrapped around Mary's feet (symbolic of her triumph over original sin)
- blue glass beads have a lovely floral enamel inset in red and pink
- I have lovingly repaired and up-cycled this vintage piece
This necklace was inspired by the crystal ball talismans found buried with Viking völvas or seeresses. Some say crystals can feel and behave like living beings. If this is the case, then this one is quite whimsical. It liked to circle around while I photographed it, holding sill only after a bit of coaxing. It is a beautiful stone and feels very vibrant in the hand.
All my jewellery is made by hand by my partner Mike and myself in a converted 18th century naval school on the wild North coast of Scotland. All pieces come gift wrapped.